Agtech’s intensive 2-day course in ovum pick-up (OPU) provides you with a foundation of knowledge and hands-on skills for successful implementation of oocyte aspiration within your own dairy or beef herd, or if you plan to offer OPU services to your clients.
2022 Class Dates
- July 18 - 19
- August 15 - 16
- September 26 - 27
- October 17 - 18
Classroom : 20% of the workshop hours focus on theory and facts of OPU / IVF including:
- Physiological aspects of OPU/IVF
- Techniques / tips for successful OPU
- Equipment selection
- Equipment troubleshooting
Hands-On : 80% of the workshop time is dedicated to practical, hands-on training which consists of:
- Proper equipment assembly
- Equipment troubleshooting and testing
- Correct positioning of the ovary and follicles during aspiration
- Oocyte searching and grading, extraction, washing / preparing oocytes for shipment to the IVF lab for in-vitro maturation
$3900 is due 45 days prior to start of class and includes all materials for the course and lunch each day. Upon completion of the course, attendees receive an account credit of $500 to spend on IVF Bioscience media, WTA products, and Agtech-brand consumables.
Class is from 8:30am – 5pm daily and a list of suggested hotels will be provided upon registration receipt. Manhattan’s regional airport (MHK) offers daily direct jet service to/from Chicago (ORD) and Dallas (DFW) airports via American Airlines. Agtech’s training center is conveniently located 15 minutes from Manhattan’s airport.
Limited to 4 students maximum, 3 minimum
Cattle AI and/or ovary palpation experience is beneficial, but not required. Ultrasound systems and probes are provided, however if you already own a system, you are encouraged to bring and use it during class. Please contact Agtech 2-3 weeks before class to provide Dr. Dayan with information about your ultrasound system.
About the InstructorS
The OPU workshop instructor is Dr. André Dayan who holds a degree in Veterinary Medicine from the University Paulista (Brazil, 1994) and a master's degree in Biotechnology Applied to Animal Reproduction, earned from the Universidade Estadual Paulista Julio de Mesquita Filho (Brazil, 2008). Dr. Dayan has been a featured presenter on OPU multiple times at annual meetings of the International Embryo Technology Society and the American Embryo Transfer Association.
The lab portion of Agtech’s OPU workshop is taught by Ms. Adaya Aroyo, MSc, Laboratory Director for the IVF service company Maxximilk, USA. Ms. Aroyo has worked worldwide as a bovine in-vitro fertilization (IVF) laboratory manager for more than 20 years. She is an expert at training local staff to successfully run their own IVF laboratories while effectively implementing protocols of good laboratory practices.
IVF Lab Services
Maxximilk company is prepared to accept and process your oocytes! The instruction and supervision which you receive in this course by Dr. Dyan during aspiration, and by lab director Adaya Aroyo during oocyte searching, grading, extraction, washing and thermal packaging allows you to achieve Maxximilk’s highest quality control standards while preparing oocytes for transport to the IVF lab.
OPU students receive a 10% discount on Maxximilk’s IVF embryo production services, plus referral contact information of clients in your area seeking OPU services.
Notice of COVID-19 Policy for Agtech Workshops
As part of our continued commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and training center, Agtech is taking additional measures to protect staff and workshop attendees from potentially contracting or spreading COVID-19.
If you are registered for a class, then no less than 2 days before class begins you must email ONE of the following two documents to email@example.com.
(1) CERTIFICATE of Covid-19 Vaccination: No less than 2 days before class begins, email a clear photo (or scanned copy) of your certificate of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to firstname.lastname@example.org. You are considered fully vaccinated:
2 weeks (14 days) after your dose of an accepted single-dose vaccine, or
2 weeks (14 days) after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series
(2) CERTIFICATE of Negative Covid-19 Test: No less than 2 days before class begins, email a clear photo (or scanned copy) of your lab-confirmed, negative PCR COVID-19 test results to email@example.com, with the test taken no more than 3 days before class begins. Example: Test Friday, email negative certificate Friday or Saturday, class begins Monday. S
- Self-administered “home” antigen test kit results are not acceptable.
CONFIRM: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org several days before class to obtain confirmation that Agtech received your certificate.